ÇÄÅ ËÕÐÉÔØ ÍÅÛËÏ×ÉÎÕ ÔËÁÎØ

[filmscanners] RE: Density vs Dynamic range

Peter,

It must be the nature of the discussion or the topic; but just when I think
I am beginning to get a handle on it something muddies the water. :-)

The first point of confusion in your discussion with Austin appears to be
that what you are referring to as "dynamic range" he is referring to as
"density range" or that you are using the two terms synonomously while he is
using them as naming two different concepts.  For instance, if I may take
the liberty to put words in his mouth, take the statement:
        "If we double the number of bits (possible values) that doesn't
        increase the dynamic range of the scanner, only it's ability to
represent
        accurately the value coming from the CCD."

I think apart from maybe disagreeing with "the value coming from the CCD,"
he would say that what you are saying should read:
        If we double the number of bits (possible values) that doesn't
        increase the DENSITY RANGE of the scanner, only it's ability to
represent
        accurately the DYNAMIC RANGE value CAPTURED AND DIGITALIZED by the
        scanner's analog to digital converter.

(Austin, if you are reading this and I am putting the wrong spin on it or
words in your mouth, please feel free to correct me.)

I believe that he also might agree with your statements below if you changed
dynamic range to density range and CCD to A/D converter.
        I've followed this discussion with some interest and realise that many
        people are confusing number of bits (i.e. the number of discrete values
        that can be represented) with the dynamic range of the CCD which could
        with the right A to D behind it, provide as many bits as required.

Please take my comments as an exercise in clarification for my own benefits
and not as a criticism or assertion that mu understandings are truth.