[filmscanners] SS4000 scans--strange pixel spike in histogram

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] SS4000 scans--strange pixel spike in histogram
  • From: "S Schwartz" <snsok@swbell.net>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 10:16:20 -0500

I ran this question by last week and received one reply that wasn't the
solution.

Some of my recent scans done on an SS4000 are showing an odd spike in the
histograms. I first noticed this when I was doing Levels correction in
Photoshop. I checked the histograms in both Polacolor Insight and VueScan as
I did more scans and noticed the same thing.

Here is an example of what I mean:

http://www.tallgrassimages.com/test/histogram.jpg

These single level pixel spikes seem to be in the blue channel. I can't see
any streaking or lines or other anomalies on the scanned images themselves.
Sometimes there will be a very high pixel count in the spike as reported by
Photoshop. Sometimes the spike is visible but Photoshop doesn't register a
high pixel count at that particular level. These spikes seem to occur most
commonly at level 0 or level 1. They are not the same from slide to slide
and some slide scans don't produce such a spike.

Any ideas?

Stan Schwartz
snsok@swbell.net