[filmscanners] Re: Bug fixes for Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite II

> When you speak of the dark areas of the neg, do you mean the areas which
> are dark in the positive result, or do you mean the areas that end up
> light on the positive which are denser on the neg?

Areas which are dark on the print and light on the negative.

> I think what you are seeing is a result of the speed of the scanner,
> which in effect might be underexposing the CCD element and then attempt
> to correct it by boosting the "gain".

> If you have access to Vuescan, try the slow scan mode (as opposed to the
> multiscan, which seems to help it very little) and see if you are
> happier with it.

I haven't tried that.  I'll give it a go...but scanning negatives is slow
enough as it is!

> On the Dual II scanners I've seen, the blue channel is very noisy and it
> creates a bunch of yellow artifacts in the deeper shadows.  Take a look
> at the channels individually (you might have to play with levels to see
> them clearly).  On the output of Dual II scanners I've seen, including
> my own, the shadows look reasonable on the R and G channel but the blue
> is a minor disaster.

Agreed.  A dark blue jumper, or intense sky, say, seem to bring out the
worst in the scanner.  I'm not sure how much of it is grain, as using the
GEM part of the ICE suite seems to reduce the noise considerably, albeit at
the expense of a little image sharpness.

> Let me know what you determine on the one you are looking over.

Will do...

Ian