[filmscanners] Dimage Scan Elite II v/s Nikon Coolscan IV ED

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Dimage Scan Elite II v/s Nikon Coolscan IV ED
  • From: "Nagaraj, Ramesh" <RAMESH.NAGARAJ@ca.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:05:54 -0400

Hi,
            I am planning to upgrade my scanner. I have Minolta Dimage Scan
Dual II and I need scratch removal facility and that is the reason for upgrade.
DPI of around 2900 is ok for me. I have not printed anything but may do A4 size
printing.

My requirements are
a) DICE3, ROC, GEM
b) < 1000USD
c) Should be good at both Slide & Print
d) USB

I have narrowed my choices to
a) Dimage Scan Elite II          Features: 16bit, 4.8 Dynamic range, small so
very much portable,660USD.
b) Nikon Coolscan IV ED          Features: 16bit, 3.6 Dynamic range, looks
bulky, 850USD.

My questions are
a) Which is good performer with both SLIDE & PRINT?
b) Does the difference in dynamic range really show up in ouput?
c) Since Elite II is new model, Is it yet to undergo hardware bugfixes?
    I am not worried about s/w bugfixes, since I use Vuescan.

Please share your personal experiences and help me in deciding on one of these.

Thanks
Ramesh

***** I am selling my "Minolta Dimage Scan Dual II", let me know if anybody is
interested ******