[filmscanners] Re: vuescan problem

John:

>Ever since I started to scan color negatives with vuescan
>(on SS4000) I periodically get scans that differ greatly
>from the preview. Usually with a much narrower range of
>values and odd casts, often a bright, almost solarized blue
>cast in white highlights and more recently an overall green
>cast. This makes batch scanning impossible because somewhere
>in the strip the scans eventually start having these
>properties.

I've encountered similar weirdness with Vuescan (don't remember the version
number I'm on, but it's about 2 months old.)  Usually only happens when
batch scanning.  Sometimes with B&W, sometimes with color.  Instead of
getting a weird cast, I get an image that's totally unrecognizeable.  Looks
like the memory has been corrupted.  I actually saw this doing a single scan
for the time ever.  I was scanning all the negatives on a particular strip,
but scanning one at a time.  I ejected the film carrier, and did a new
preview and a new scan, and all was well.

I'm using the SS4000, too, on WinNT with 256 meg of memory.  I rarely scan
all the negatives in a single strip, so it's not a huge deal to me.  I'm
guessing that memory is being corrupted somewhere.  But ejecting the carrier
and re-inserting it helps.

Eric