[filmscanners] Increasing effective scanner DOF

After the recent postings about the limited DOF with the Nikon scanners, I
remembered an
interesting posting from Dean Shough last year:

> For someone with time, Photoshop savvy, and an important slide that suffers
> from the focus problem, I would like to recommend "A Multifocus Method for
> Controlling Depth of Field" at
>
>  http://www.sgi.com/grafica/depth/index.html
>
> The author, Paul Haeberli, takes two images of the same scene and performs
> some manipulations to create a single image that retains the sharpest
> portions of each individual image. When applied to scanners, the two images
> would be scans with the focus set to different places on the slide.  It
> should not be hard to create  Photoshop action that will combine the
> sharpest portion of two scans using this technique.

Has anyone actually tried this yet?  After all, it's relatively common practice
produce and combine differently exposed scans to increase the effective dynamic
range of
the scanner so why not DOF?

Of course, if we could get Ed Hamrick to incorporate this sort of functionality
into
Vuescan, that really would give it (and the Nikon range) the edge in the
scanning stakes!

Al Bond