[filmscanners] RE: 3 year wait

> I guess everything I have read
> leaves me unbelieving that low speed quality films, especially slide
> films, res out at 4000 dpi.

I scan at 5080, and my 160 and less films still have "more to go".  Drum
scans can be  higher resolution, and people who use them also say that they
are able to take advantage of the higher resolution.

It's also easy to see that there is "more to go" if you have the film
resolution charts.  Average "decent" film has a resolution of, say, around
125 lp/mm...which is 6350 somethings per inch.  The really good color films
are around 160+, which is 8128.

T-Max 100 and Fuji Neopan 100 (B&W) can give 200 lp/mm, which is over 10k.

Now, of course, to get the film to actually record NEAR that much, you need
almost ideal conditions, tripod, high shutter speed, no vibration etc., as
well as a lense that can accommodate that...but that's just for edge detail.
Still, tonality will be recorded, whether it's perfectly in focus or not...

BTW, slide films are not better than negative films.  Overall, negative
films still do have a slight edge, though slide films are far better than
they used to be.

Austin