[filmscanners] Scan Elite & XP?

Hello, I was just about to upgrade to Win XP (from Win 98) and
discovered that the Minolta website indicates that the Scan Elite is NOT
supported on XP.  When I called their support, I was informed that in
fact it would NEVER be supported on XP (because it is being discontinued
soon).  To say that I'm pissed at this lack of support for older
products is an understatement (esp. when other companies seem to have
provided SOMETHING).  I doubt I'll ever by a Minolta product again with
this kind of support, but that's another story...

My reason for writing is that I read somewhere that some Win 2K drivers
work for peripherals in Win XP.  I'm wondering if anyone has tried this
for the Scan Elite?  Or should I just forget the whole idea (until I
have the necessary $$ to buy a newer scanner)?

Unfortunately, I HAVE to do a clean install fairly soon because my Win
98 system is acting very flaky.  So, I'm faced with re-installing Win 98
(ugh), upgrading to Win 2000 or upgrading to Win XP (and not being able
to use my film scanner.)  I did read the thread on "which wintel OS" and
realize that Win 2000 would probably be a good option.  But, I've also
got a laptop with Win XP, so I'm already somewhat familiar with it.  Win
2000 is a complete unknown to me.

Thanks, Jeanie