[filmscanners] Re: OT: which wintel OS for digital imaging?

Dave writes:

> On my laptop XP freezes occasionally (every
> two days or so) even when I only have Outlook
> express open ...

Probably some hardware particularity.  Laptops have really weird hardware;
it's the price you pay for them being compact.

> ... it hangs sometimes when running Norton
> defrag ...

Why not just use the defragmentation utility that comes with XP?

> ... and things slow down and become less stable
> too quickly after a thorough maintenance
> routine.

What do you mean by a "thorough maintenance routine"?  I don't do any
maintenance on my machine.

> I'm wondering if the system restore feature
> is bogging things down.

It is only invoked when you change something.  I have it enabled and it has
no effect on my machine that I can detect.

My machine has not crashed even once thus far, except this morning when the
CPU fan failed (after only one month!) and the processor temperature rose to
over 200 degrees F.  I replaced the fan and now all is well again
(thankfully the processor appears not to have been damaged).  All the
devices I've added (Wacom tablet, Nikon LS-8000ED, SanDisk ImageMate CF card
reader, Ethernet card, Firewire card, extra RAM) have been instantly
recognized and automagically configured, and all have worked immediately.

> I haven't had System Mechanic long, and I'm
> hoping it will help resolve some of these issues
> as I become familiar with it.

Uh-oh ... what is System Mechanic?

One of the cardinal rules of keeping a system stable and reliable is not to
fix anything that isn't broken.