[filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS4000 Depth of field

Julian Robinson wrote:

> If you want to check your scanner, I describe an easy way on
>
> http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~julian/photography/ls2000-focus.htm

What a very useful page.  Have you had any feedback from LS-40, LS-4000 or
LS-8000
users on the effective DOF on these scanners?  Are these different from your
measurement on the LS-2000 of 24 Nikon focus units for general use and 12 focus
units
for the grain critical sharpness?  (I know this assumes, quite possibly
wrongly, that the
focus units in Nikonscan are constant between the scanners.)

>From recent posts, it's certainly clear that some LS4000 owners take a similar
>approach
to you to find the optimum focus point and still cannot always get the entire
film plane
within the effective DOF.

I'm curious whether the design changes needed to achieve 4000dpi have made the
DOF
better or worse.  From the number of posts about DOF problems, it sounds like
it has got
worse but only this sort of test separates the facts from hearsay.

Ironically, the (mould damaged) films I have that would benefit from ICE  are
also quite
bowed so solving one problem could easily introduce another :-)

Al Bond