[filmscanners] Re: Microtek vs Polaroid (was SS4000 Plus nottoEurope!)

al@greenspace.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

 > So far, the only reference to the ss4000 Plus on dealers' websites is
just "coming soon" with a
 > guestimate of cost between UKP 900-1000 (inc VAT).  The price for the
4000tf is around the
 > UKP800 mark, including a (Win98 compatible) Firewire card and Silverfast.

The SS4000+ came with a Win 98SE compatible Firewire card also, BUT (and
I know this because I spent several hours last night trying to install
it) although the card was recognized in Win 98 SE, the scanner is not
which must have something to do with Polaroid's Insight.  It just
indicated an "unknown" device and Insight could not find the scanner.

I tried several approaches and got nowhere.  I even tried some patches
from MS.  I wonder if trying the XP approach using 5.0 first and then
installing 5.5 insight might work.

I would really like to get the scanner working on firewire.

Anyway, it would appear Mictrotek might have a patch or something built
into the driver to allow the firewire to work with Win 88 SE.

Hopefully, Polaroid will do the same soon.

Art