[filmscanners] Re: SS 120 questions

Hi Simon,

I haven't yet taken the time to learn SilverFast.  I do know that
SilverFast allows for manual focus on the SS4000+ and I assume on all
other Polaroid scanners, while it is not an option with Insight.

Is it possible you aren't engaging focusing at all while using
SilverFast, and as a result you are getting hit and miss focus?
(keeping in mind how wide a DOF the SS120 offers).  I can't give you the
specific procedure, having not yet studies SilverFast, but are you sure
you have been either using autofocus with it, or are engaging the manual
focus properly.

On my Minolta, which allows for manual focus within the manufacturers
software, one can move the focus target to anywhere within the preview
window.  Probably similar with Silverfast.

The only other easy to think on cause of variable focus is if the
gearing is off creating an angled carrier, which could be a mis-moulded
carrier or a problem within the scanner gearing.

But do make sure you are engaging focus within Silverfast first before
assuming a hardware problem.

Art