[filmscanners] Re: my XP laptop is driving me crazy

> because I'm using it for scanning until I can get the desktop
> upgraded. Actually, scanning isn't the problem (the processor is an
> Athalon 1.2 gig), but Photoshop keeps crashing when running big files.
>  RAM is maxed out at 512 gig

assume you mean .5GB, 512MB

You got PhotoShop RAM use set to 75% or less of total RAM?
Giving it 100% can cause crashes, not enough left for OS and etc.

>.... I have Photoshop's scratch disk pointed
> to an external firewire drive with lots of room.

Does it crash if you just leave scratch disk set to internal HD?
Yeah, I know it *should* work ok, but...

           Mac McDougald -- DOOGLE DIGITAL
  500 Prestwick Ridge Way # 39 - Knoxville, TN 37919
 doogle@doogle.com  865-540-1308  http://www.doogle.com