[filmscanners] Re: Nikon 4000ED vs. Nikon 8000ED

Robert DeCandido, PhD wrote:
> Is there a qualitative difference between the Nikon 4000ED scanner and
> the Nikon 8000ED scanner?
I can see one obvious difference: 8000ED produces smoother grain because of
the additional light diffuser. With 4000ED the same smoothness of grain is
rather only possible to achieve with ICE on. (examples
www.imaging-resource.com - musicians)
There is also another thing I'd recommend to check: my scans made with the
8000ED show somewhat pronounced chromatic aberration (red and green "halos"
in the areas of transition from very bright to very dark). I could not check
the 4000ED in this respect but I would be interested in a comparison.
The same images scanned with Minolta Multi Pro are better as far as
chromatic aberration goes.

> Note that new 4000ED's can be had for about $1100.oo and new 8000ED's
> are being advertised for about $2300.oo on the price scan web sites.
In which country? At which web-sites?
It interests me a lot because I want to buy either 4000ED or 8000ED in May.
BTW, can anybody recommed a good place to buy these scanners in Germany?
(lowest price preferred, service doesn't matter as I live in Poland). I'm
interesed in retailers, Internet retailers and wholesalers.

Regards

Tomek Zakrzewski