[filmscanners] Re: Nikon 4000ED vs. Nikon 8000ED

Robert writes:

> Is there a qualitative difference between
> the Nikon 4000ED scanner and the Nikon 8000ED
> scanner?

Not a significant one, I don't think.  The 8000 uses a three-line CCD array
to scan, whereas the 4000 uses a one-line array, but that's about it, and I
don't know that the 8000 does any better job in consequence than the 4000
(and the 8000ED banding phenomenon has already been mentioned--when you use
the three-line scan mode, scans are done faster, but the risk of banding
exists).

The 8000ED has a different lens, but not necessarily a better one (more
elements and groups).

> Does the 8000ED simply handle larger
> rmats besides 35mm, or is there some other
> significant difference between the two
> scanners?

The multi-format capability seems to be the only real difference.  It's a
big one, from a mechanical standpoint, but from a scan quality standpoint it
doesn't seem to make any difference.

> Note that new 4000ED's can be had for about
> $1100.oo and new 8000ED's are being advertised
> for about $2300.oo on the price scan web sites.

If everything you are scanning can be scanned on a 4000ED, you should
probably stick with the 4000ED.