[filmscanners] Re: Some findings/thoughts on the Sprintscan120(comments verywelcome please)

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Some findings/thoughts on the Sprintscan120(comments verywelcome please)
  • From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:38:13 +0100

OK, here is where I have got to.  I downloaded the 5.5.2 version of
Silverfast and compared results using that and Insight.  I have now managed
to get some great scans, mostly using SF.  I have got some great Delta 100,
Scala, Provia and E100VS scanned images and I am very pleased with the
results.  I also upgraded to the latest firmware version, since the carrier
got stuck in the scanner using the preview all frames option in SF.

However, whatever I use, Portra 160VC 6X6 is not good at all.  I have
scanned this on my LS30 and it looks great.  I tried it with SF and Insight
and had to work at it but eventually got the image looking reasonable.
However, the SF and Insight images are covered in white specks.  It is not
dust, there is too much over the entire image area.  It is not noise either,
just white specks all over the place.  Anyone else successfully scanned
Portra 160VC using the SS 120?

As a direct comparison to the Flextight Photo, I scanned one E100VS image on
the Flextight and it did not need any correction for colour etc, just a bit
of sharpening.  It took me about ten minutes to get the SS 120 scan using
Silverfast to the same degree of colour, contrast etc. accuracy.  So what I
gain in scan speed I am losing on the manipulation.

However, I guess either scanner takes the same net time to accomplish the
task, I just have to think less with the Flextight.  So I think I may keep
the SS 120.  OK, so I may have to do some spotting etc. as it does not have
ICE, but I genuinely think it needs less than the same image scanned on my
LS30.  I scanned one image with a great big fingerprint on it and it did not
show on the scanned image, which was sharp as a tack.  I know my LS30 would
have picked it up in the scan.

I do have one big issue with the medium format carrier.  I use 6X6 and have
many strips with four frames on a strip.  In that configuration, it is
impossible to scan slide 2 or 3 without cutting the strip as the second
frame in from the end never lines up correctly in the green marks.  This
will be a pain and I do not want to cut the strips.   So, two questions:

1.  Will the carrier be redesigned to allow scanning of four 6X6 images
without cutting etc?

2.  Will there be a glass carrier for 6X6 as sometimes the film does not
look completely flat in the supplied carrier.

Well, that's it for now.  I am going to take a couple of images I produced
this afternoon into the dealer and see if the Flextight can get to the same
stage in less time.  But, in the end, the SS 120 is 40% of the price of the
Flextight Photo, and that is a big saving, especially when the difference in
images is hard to distinguish.

Thanks to Art and everyone else for helping me and offering advice.  Just
the two questions above to go ;-)

Simon