[filmscanners] RE: Is the ICE feature in Scanwit 2740S any good?

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Is the ICE feature in Scanwit 2740S any good?
  • From: "Jack Phipps" <JPhipps@asf.com>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:17:25 -0500

You are right, each manufacturer implements Digital ICE a little bit
differently. We analyze each scanner on a case by case basis. They don't
need an infrared sensor, usually their standard CCD works quite well.
Sometimes it is difficult getting the right frequency and quantity of
infrared light from their light source though. We do not provide a chip to
the manufacturer, but usually the micro code embedded on some kind of
on-board memory is different from their standard offering.

Begin Sales Pitch
My experience with the Acer2740S, Benq 2740S or the Umax 270 Plus is that it
has the best price/performance of any film scanner with Digital ICE. I
really like it. It is very effective at removing surface defects from film
scans, and you are already familiar with the effectiveness of the Acer
scanners. The results should be the same, except that in most cases the
surface defects will be gone!
End Sales Pitch

Jack Phipps
Applied Science Fiction