[filmscanners] Re: GRAIN/ICE SHOWDOWN: Nikon LS8000 vs.MinoltaScan Multi Pro!

I didn't take the two samples into Photoshop yet and play with them and
do USM filtering, etc., but I did look at them closely.

The Minolta seems to be excessively contrasty, and the shadows block up
quicker than the Nikon.  Take a look at the area under the blue-purple
flower, especially right near her hair.  There is much more information
in the Nikon scan than the Minolta.  It isn't as "sharp" but there is
more data, texture, color, information.

Also, look at her hair in that same area.  Note how the Nikon hair looks
like hair, with depth and gradients that make it look 3D and shiny.

With the Minolta, the hair looks dry and very bleached and un-natural,
with no real luster or third dimension.

Finally, take a look at her lips and the lipstick.  On the Nikon scan I
can tell that it is a metallic luster lipstick, and I can see the soft
curves in  her lips.

Now, take a look at the Minolta scan.  I can see a highlight in the lips
but is it due to the shine of the light, or the metallic sheen in the
lipstick formula? And look at the left lower portion of the lower lip.
It is almost flat in contour on the Minolta, while the Nikon gives it
some curve (although not a lot).

The Minolta seems to be lacking the subtlety of those in-between colors,
almost like it is working a a lower bit depth.

Art