From: <johnhayward@hopcoinvst.com>
To: <anthony@atkielski.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 16:33
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: X rays was Digital PIC

I've found the following info on Kodak's site pertinent to lead lined
bags.
Seems they continue to recommend lead lined bags for still film, but not
motion picture film.

Go figure, wouldn't both be damaged?

Methinks I'll take my film out of their canisters, put them in a ziplock
bag, and ask nicely with a smile if they can check it for you without
sending through the x-ray machine.

John

--

Kodak Technical Information Bulletin

http://www.kodak.com/cluster/global/en/service/tib/tib5201.shtml

Baggage X-ray Scanning Effects on Film
This document was updated February 18, 2002
Suggestions for Avoiding Fogged Film

SNIP -----

Lead-lined bags, available from photo retailers, will weaken the
x-radiation on film and reduce potential harm. However, the
effectiveness of any particular lead bag depends on the intensity and
electric potential of the X-ray generator, the lead's thickness, and the
film speed. If you use a lead bag, check with the manufacturer for the
effectiveness of their products with airport X-ray devices. The
inspection process may be triggered by a lead bag on the scanner screen.
In a typical airport surveillance situation, the baggage may be pulled
aside for additional inspection.

SNIP -----

KODAK MOTION PICTURE IMAGING - NO DATE
DO X-RAYS HARM MY FILM?

http://www.kodak.com/country/us/en/motion/support/
technical/transportation.shtml

SNIP -----

The once popular lead-lined carry bags aren't practical today because if
an inspector can't see through the bag, he will increase the intensity
of the x-ray until he can. Therefore, film may receive more harmful
radiation than it would otherwise if it were normally inspected.

SNIP -----

Security precautions at US airports have been significantly tightened
following the tragic events of September 11th. Among precautions that
travelers can expect will be the increased use of new, high-intensity
x-ray scanners for checked baggage and hand-carried baggage. Passengers
should be aware that these high-intensity x-ray machines will fog and
ruin all unprocessed film of any speed, whether exposed or not. Kodak
recommends that air travelers do not carry unexposed or unprocessed
motion picture film.

Hand Inspection
Note: The FAA provides air travelers in the United States the right to
request a non-X-ray inspection of photosensitive products (FAA Reg.
108.17-AIRPLANE OPERATOR SECURITY). The complete regulation is very
informative, but section Part 108.17e is most important to travelers
carrying film. Click here to go to the FAA Web site: FAA , or to view
that regulation: FAA Reg. 108 . Remember that this only applies to air
travelers in the United States.

SNIP -----

the source of your information that the X-Ray dose of carry on scanners
'gets bumped up to see through the bags'.

>>  Bob
>>
>>  Op's wrote:
>>
>>  johnhayward@hopcoinvst.com wrote:
>>
>>  >> Though OT - a very valuable discussion.
>>  >>
>>  >> Does anyone know if the lead lined bags sold to carry film
through
>>  >> carry-on X-Rays really help or do they only have a placebo (sic)
effect?