[filmscanners] RE: X rays was Digital PIC

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: X rays was Digital PIC
  • From: "Jack Phipps" <JPhipps@asf.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 14:55:37 -0600

That is a good trick, including a roll of 1600 film. I'll have to try that.
I have be refused hand inspections many times. The authorities don't usually
help either. Usually once the discussion gets started, one of the guys with
an M-16 comes to breath down your neck. A strong encouragement to "move
along".

Did anyone see the Wall Street Journal article on radiation exposure? It
seems that traveling just a few times on certain flights exposes you to more
radiation than a chest x-ray. Could it be that your film would get more
exposure from high altitude than by inspection? I suppose that inspection
uses much stronger x-rays than a chest x-ray?

Someone mentioned buying film locally and processing it locally. I have a
hard time finding my favorite film types anyway. I try to buy in bulk and
test the batch before a critical shoot. I can't imagine trying to do all
that on a trip, especially when it spans several different destinations.

Anyway, thanks for all the ideas.

Jack Phipps
Applied Science Fiction