From: "Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca>
To: <div2000@terra.es>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 8:39 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Cleaning slides

If the snowfalkes, as you call them, are on the emulsion side and look
crystalline they are probably the result of bad processing.  I have one
roll like this, processed locally E-6 about 10 or more years ago.  I
suspect it was due to poor final rinsing and hardening.  The stuff I see
literally are crystals of some chemical, some of which come off with a
Q-tip without wetting, although not all come off this way.  Check a
slide that isn't too important and see if it is water soluble or not.

For this I think a water bath and good rinsing might work best.

BTW, Q-tips are bad for cleaning film with, the cotton can scratch the film.

Art

david_bookbinder@sprynet.com wrote:

> Art,
>
> This sounds like exactly what has happened. These old sleeves feel like
> vinyl to me. Perhaps the snowflake-like deposits were more volatile
> compounds that migrated out years ago and have since evaporated.
>
> I'll experiment with different film cleaners. God, it's been so long since
> I've been handling film that I've forgotten about things like photoflow
and
> Edwal. PEC, I think, has come on the market since I stepped out of the
> darkroom 23 years ago.
>
> Thanks,
> David

or body