From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Arthur Entlich
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 11:26 PM
To: david_bookbinder@sprynet.com
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Cleaning slides

If the slide sleeves were PVC or vinyl, there is a good chance the
plasticizers have migrated out.  It is an oily somewhat viscose liquid
which can indeed leave a residue or droplets on the slides, and it
doesn't evaporate very quickly, if ever.  Today's archival sleeves are
made from polyethylene usually which is more stable.

Most everyone will probably suggest a liquid called PEC, which I haven't
ever used.  I usually use a warm water bath with some photoflow or other
liquid detergent and a chamois or soft fingers and gently rub; of course
this involves removing them from their mounts. Sometimes if it is on the
non-emulsion side, I will use pure 99% isopropyl alcohol, with a chamois
or lintless wipe.

Art