[filmscanners] RE: Polaroid's future

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Polaroid's future
  • From: "Hemingway, David J" <HEMINGD@polaroid.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:36:47 -0500

Thank you for your good words!!
David

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Lloyd O'Daniel [mailto:lodaniel@bham.rr.com]
Sent:   Wednesday, March 13, 2002 2:15 AM
To:     hemingd@polaroid.com

David,

Let me add my voice to those who hope you will be part of that entity
(if you desire so). I went through a 6 month long careful decision a
couple years ago deciding between a SS4000 and a Coolscan 2000.
Polaroid's emphasis on customer service, which in no small part was
personified by your presence, swayed me to the SS4000. I have not
regretted it. I am happy that I repaid that in a small way by swaying a
friend of mine who was leaning toward a Coolscan 8000 to get a SS120.
He, too, is very happy he did so. I just hope that whoever buys
Polaroid's scanner division shares Polaroid's commitment of customer
service, and has the good sense to make people like you a part of that.

I'll never be a CEO. But, I can't for the life of me understand why
Polaroid would shrink back to its core instant film products as I have
read. It seems to me that instant film is on the way out, since digital
cameras are getting better at a increasing rate. They, too, provide
instant feedback. I'm a metallurgical engineer involved in metallography
and failure analysis. A few years ago, we used a lot of Type 55P/N and
smaller pack films in documenting failures. We now use digital cameras
both in general and on our microscopes. I see scanners as more of the
future than I do instant film.

Regards, Lloyd