[filmscanners] Re: New price on Flextight Photo in UK

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>

>snip<

>Now, given the recent price reductions, for another £1,000 more than the
competition, I can't see any reason to consider any other scanner over the
Flextight.  I am always open to contrary views though, and if anyone can
provide good reasons not to go the Flextight route (barring saving the
money) then I would take all advice on board.<

>snip<

While I agree that the Imacon scanner line is undoubtedly high quality,
here's a couple of points to remember if you are working with 35mm:

You have to unmount/remount each slide and position it in the curved film
holder one at a time - this is a major hasle if you are scanning a lot of
slides.

Second, the Flextight Photo is only 3200 ppi - not REALLY sufficient 35mm
resolution for double page spreads in magazines.

So, I would have to splash out for the big brother, giving 5700 ppi - but
now we are talking a lot more money.

I have been very happy with Polaroid's SS4000 - scanned 11.000 slides so
far - but there are, fairly frequently, moments where a polarized, dark blue
sky on a Velvia comes out a mess - and I wish for an Imacon, somehow hoping
that it could solve the problem. I tried the SS120, which I think is a very
good scanner if you do medium format, but I did not see any improvement -
worth the investment - of my 35 mm scans of troublesome slides.

I would like to see the Minolta Multi Pro's 4800ppi and claimed high dynamic
range compared with the Imacon Flextight II or is it now III?

Preben