[filmscanners] Re: cdrw drives

I actually got to speak to a chief engineer at Plextor at one point,
after I was having problems with my drive and was not getting to far
with the tech people.  He was really very nice about it, especially
since, as it turned out, after we checked into the Adaptec codes for the
failures/errors I was running into, that all but one were media errors
because I was using an off-brand spindle of CDR blanks and the other was
a software failure by the writing software.  I learned a valuable lesson
from that... I no longer bother with the off brands, and I have had
exactly zero failures since (the off brands were running 20-30% failures).

Anyway, I asked him about Plextor, since I was new to owning anything
from them... I thought they were a "new company" to the biz, as I had
not seen their products on shelves here before about 5 years ago.

He told me Plextor is a very old company, like from the late 1800's, and
they have made motors for years, for sewing machines, etc.  They have
been producing disk drives, and other drives for computers for a long
time, but their products weren't sold directly to retail.  Although he
would not tell me who, he stated that many of the retail CDRW drives
sold under other well known brand names are made by them.  SO, I think
it is more the other way around... Plextor makes a lot of drives for
other names rather than Plextor drives being made by someone else.

Art