[filmscanners] Re: OT: Choosing a high End CRT

>> Don't the Sony and Mitsubishi use the same tubes?

The story, as I've heard it, is that Sony used to supply tubes to
Mitsubishi, which in turn called them Diamondtron tubes. The Mitsubishi
sales people liked to say that they picked only the top tubes off Sony's
production line, and did some optimizing with their own electronics. Of
course, that could just be sales BS, but I've always found Mits monitors to
be better quality and more consistent from unit to unit, than those from
Sony.

Sony's patent on the Trinitron tubes apparently expired a few years back,
now other manufacturers are making their own aperture grill tubes.