[filmscanners] Re: Where can I actually *buy* an Nikon 8000ED?

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Where can I actually *buy* an Nikon 8000ED?
  • From: "Julian Vrieslander" <julianv@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 06:40:25 -0500

On 2/26/02 5:43 AM, Arthur Entlich <artistic-1@shaw.ca>, wrote:

>It might have been done in the software then.  The implication was that
>the reason scans using dICE tended to look softer was that some type of
>sharpening that normally was applied to the scan wasn't when dICE was
>invoked.
>
>Couldn't there be some type of electronic filter used post scan that
>could alter the sharpness?

The digital ICE cleaning routines can affect sharpness.  Effects depend
on which scanner you are using, and which options are selected in
software.  Here is a synopsis of the descriptions give in the NikonScan 3
Reference Manual:

For the LS-2000 and Coolscan III, there are two ICE modes: Normal and
Sharpen.  The latter apparently adds a bit of sharpening to compensate
for the softening effects of the digital cleaning.

For the 4000ED and Coolscan IV ED, there are also two modes: Normal and
Fine.  Normal mode is recommended for garden-variety dust and scratches.
Fine mode can be used to clean up very thin and tiny defects, and the
documentation warns that it can also reduce image sharpness.  The manual
does not mention any sharpening provided by the ICE functions, when
running on these new scanners.

Note that NikonScan 3 does have Unsharp Mask (USM) available as an option
independent of the digital ICE functions.  The params are similar to
those provided in Photoshop.

All of the above stuff is done within the NikonScan software, of course.
I have no information on whether there is any additional sharpening being
done in the scanner hardware.

--
Julian Vrieslander <mailto:julianv@mindspring.com>