[filmscanners] Re: Supra for scanning?

>Hi Tris,
>
>I've been using Supra 100 and 400 for scanning with my Nikon 4000ED, which
>seems to particularly sensitive to grain/grain aliasing.  I've found the
>grain to be more than I desire.  Some members of this list have recommended
>slightly overexposing negative film by 1/3 to 1/2 stop.  Other members have
>also recommended Superia, especially Reala 100 speed film.  I have just
>ordered some Reala and Provia100F. I hope for some improvement.
>
>What scanner are you using.  This may have some effect on the film you
>select as the best option for low grain/grain aliasing.
>
>Bob Kehl

Hi, Bob.

I scan with the Polaroid SS4000 @ 4000 dpi to produce a RAW TIFF, then do
all of my processing in software, either Paint Shop Pro v7 or Photoshop v6.
My results vary, depending on exposure as much as anything else vis-a-vis
the emulsion I use.

As a general rule, it's always good to overexpose negative emulsions, and
most especially the faster films with grain in mind.

I think you'll like Reala--very fine grain, not too saturated. Konica
Impresa 50 has the finest grain of all the negative films if you're not
familiar, neutral saturation with with fairly consistent good tonality
throughout.

Here's are some night shoots with Reala:

These were shot with Impresa:

Don't know if that helps or not.

Tris