[filmscanners] Re: Ice cubed

Jack Phipps wrote:

> Digital SHO is another amazing tool for working with images. It will gleam
> the detail out of the shadows AND the highlights simultaneously! You have to
> see it to believe it. When you have a little boy sitting under a tree, with
> a white house in the background you usually have to sacrifice either the
> highlight detail or the shadow detail. But when you use Digital SHO, you can
> see the highlight detail and the shadow detail.
>
> I'll try to provide a link to some examples and more information this week.
>
> Jack Phipps
> Applied Science Fiction

About a year ago, I saw a NASA website which was showing some filter or
plug-in they had written that seemed to pull amazing information from
images that seems almost obscured by smoke, lack of light, over or under
exposure, etc.  They were over sharpened, from my perspective, but the
coding for the contrast balancing and ability to lift detail out of
something that looked like a nearly meaningless image was truly amazing.

I don't know if this technology is anything like what ASF came up with,
but if it is, its pretty mind-blowing stuff.

Art