[filmscanners] Another grain problem

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Another grain problem
  • From: "Johnny Zasada" <johnny_zasada@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:56:48 +0100

Hello,

I own an Umax Astra 4000U flatbed 1200dpi scanner w/tranny lid. The overall
quality of the scans from slide film is not so bad. Unfortunately some areas
of most scans appear to be kind of grainy. These are not really deep
shadows, so I'm not really sure it's noise, though it probably is. Any
variations in the settings of the Umax MagicScan software have not helped
with this behaviour.

The inkjet printer, an Epson 1200, exaggerates this graininess, it looks a
bit strange having such obviously digital looking areas in an otherwise very
photographic looking print. This graininess or noise particularly likes to
show up in shadow areas of skintones and hair, which is frustrating for me
since I mainly photograph people and portraits, and this really degrades my
digital output.

I have made up a page with two scans and magnified areas to illustrate the
problem at http://www.geocities.com/johnny_zasada.

I'd be glad to hear from you if this really is noise or am I doing something
wrong. Are there any tricks to get rid of this?

Would the Epson 2450 be an improvement, or does it have the same problems?
Most reviews I've read were from landscape photographers.

Thanks in advance

Johnny