[filmscanners] Re: Multi-coloured lines in images...

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Ezio,
>
> I can't blame you for being upset.  I would be as well.  If I might make
> one suggestion.  Before totally giving up on HP (and you'd have every
> right, to based upon your experience) you might want to try something
> that might help both HP and yourself.
>
> As you might know, HP is in the middle of a battle right now regarding
> getting shareholders approval for their tentative merger with Compaq
> Computers.  There is a large dispute taking place in the US over this
> matter between Walter Hewlett (son of William Hewlett, one of the
> founders of HP) who sits on the board and is opposed to this merger, and
> the rest of the board spearheaded by Carleton (Carly) Fiorina the CEO.

But the point here is that so many people, including myself, believe
that this merger is a nonsense because the both companies are in
similar troubles and have a largely overlapping spectrum of products.

The problem of Compaq and HP lie in the declining quality of their
products and in the growing distrust of the customers for their lack
of inventiveness in larger scale computing. Especially since HP has
astonishingly tossed out their very kernel business in measurement
equipment (now called Agilent) they have lost their wide portfolio
of products and are now mainstream in the consumer mass product
business, competing against 6-7 Japanese companies in scanners and
printers and even in digital cameras(!!!) and they lose high, in my
opinion. Maybe they should start with electric tooth brushes and
cell phones... Just kidding.

Ms. Fiorina's pathetic try to revive the HP as it once was, was to
show herself on the TV standing in... Prague (woof!!!!) with images
of Hewlett and Packard garage and adding the word "invent" to their
slogan. But everything what came from "this garage" is now... Agilent.
And Agilent's sale force major task is to convince customers that
they are "still kind of HP." This woman is a menace to HP.

Tektronix went the opposite way: They dropped stepwise all the
computer mass products and returned to their kernel business in
measurement with a long term stable growth model as opposed to the
current HP's model of a rapid growth. Compaq has a similar large
share of their own problems, including indigestion of DEC an Tandom
integration.

What Ezio now realizes the hard way, is that this company loses its
grounds among plain consumers. I would suggest to browse the Cnet
product tables and read the users pro-contra voices. HP has often
astonishing low rates. This is what they have to fix, and not to
merge and make 40.000 people unemployed.

Regarding suggestions to Eizo: Maybe he should also give a try with
HP repair services in UK and Germany? HP has large organizations
there and research labs. Maybe the refusal to repair was someone's
individual mistake?

Thomas.