[filmscanners] Re: Slightly OT: Hard Drive Speed

>>How much faster is the best SCSI (Ultra wide?) than current ATA 100 7200
rpm technology?  Is it worth the extra hassle of SCSI?

The best SCSI drives run at 15k. They are really fast. I don't have any
comparative benchmarks, but the drives are expensive, and the benefits to
you really depend on the application at hand and the drive configuration. A
pair of large striped IDE drives delivers performance that most people find
perfectly adequate for image editing. A 100 meg file can be opened in about
4 seconds. That's acceptable to most people. The only SCSI drives I sell
these days are for server storage (where SCSI, for various reasons, is a
better solution).