[filmscanners] Re: Scanning chromogenic

Op's wrote:

> Then what happens when an image scanned in colour is desaturated in Photoshop
>and printed
> with colour inks. Epson do say, as you mentioned also, that by printing in
>this manor gives
> a smoother gradient.
>
> By keeping the scan colour RGB and desaturating it there is more information
>kept than
> scanning in grey scale.
>
> Have you tried this?
>

> Rob

That's an interesting question, in theory, but I'm not sure it would
matter.  I haven't made a test of the two methods, but from what I can
gather, either way the information is the same, in terms of the source
material.  Whether one creates a desaturated RGB file which has no color
in it, or one that is grayscale, assume both result in a neutral result
(the desaturated might tend to be color toned on some systems) I expect
the Epson driver would see either an monochromic images, whether the
file was encoded as RGB or grayscale.

But, I'm willing to be proved wrong.  Try it and let us know.

Art