[filmscanners] Re: Vuescan and Scan Elite II

Hi Andreas

> ok, I´m using the new Scan Elite II (via FireWire) and I don´t have
any
> problem with it - so far.
> Now I tried the new Vuescan version (7.4.2, trial version) and I have
> curious problem:

I don't think the current version of Vuescan has full support for the Elite
II yet.  Although Ed did add preliminary support a couple of versions
ago, the formal support list doesn't show it yet.  Ed currently has a
loaner from Minolta but I think his efforts have been on getting the new
features in Vuescan 7.5 working.

> After installng the software the first scan is ok, but all others are bad,
> that means:
> The preview is a picture where every 2nd line is a white horizontal
line
> across the whole image.
> The scan is a pink/violet picture, without any contour or anything else
-
> ok, the trial-version-crosses are visible (on the pink background).

Similar here.  On my system (Win98SE, PIII 350 890Mb ram) the Elite
II is very erratic under Vuescan.  Sometimes it freezes after focus but
before managing to do a preview.  When it does scan, the preview and
scans are incomplete with large gaps of zero luminance in the blue
channel and no usable image data in either the blue or green channels.
The red channel is the only one with any image data in it.  None of the
channels seem calibrated at all.

> What´s wrong?

If, as I suspect, this is still "work in progress" then you aren't doing
anything wrong.  I'm sure when Ed thinks he has Elite II support sorted,
he'll let us know!

Incidentally, have you scanned any underexposed slides on your Elite II
using the Minolta software and brought the shadow detail up?  A couple
of us have had problems in the shadow areas (ie "lazy" or uncalibrated
CCD elements which cause single pixel tracks in the shadows and also
regular banding across the entire shadows in the red channel).  I'm still
debating whether to keep the Elite II so I'm curious how widespread this
problem is.

Al Bond