[filmscanners] RE: Vuescan 7.4 raw scan files not really raw?

Ed writes ...

> In a message dated 1/18/2002 3:01:58 AM EST, hsdejong@worldmail.nl writes:
>
> > Does this mean that grain-reduction alters the raw scan file?
>
> This is fixed in 7.5, which I'll release next week some time.

  I've been thinking about this concept of "half-cooking" the raw files ...
and, although my thinking isn't completely thought out, I wonder if a 3rd
file type isn't warranted(?)  Bear with me for the sake of shaking this out

  file type #1:  The "crop" file is the finished product.  Nothing much more
needs to be said ... except, the Vuescan tools used to create it continue to
evolve.  It's also important to note, it can be the result of an actual scan
or a saved "raw" file ... OR, the result of processing the new file type!!!

  file type #2:  The "raw" file type has been uniques to Vuesacn from the
get-go, and the primary reason why many of us use it.  This file type, on
the other hand, should not evolve.  The raw file created with Vs7.3 should
be the same as that created with Vs7.5.  If I had my way, IR would always be
associated with it, and you only enable compression and where to put it.
File writing speed should be optimized, meaning raw files could be written
as fast as the scanner can scan.  (this file type would not be available for
flatbed scanners ... see below)

  new file type:  The properties of this file type have been suggested by
those who would like to "half cook" their raw files.   These being good
reasons not-with-standing, I wonder if this file type isn't also suggested
by Vuescan's own "media type" setting.  That is, imagine another file type
which Vuescan can write, and also process later ... that being "scan from
'disk'" AND "media type 'image'".  In other words, create an "image" file
for subsequent processing (by any software, but it is also a "child" of
Vuescan, not necessarily an "orphan").

(1)  for scanning negatives ... you could enable "subtract mask & invert",
all "filters" chosen from the filter tab.  Other options could be "correct
for film type", and possibly some device considerations.

(2)  for scanning chromes ... film "filters", and "film type" (possibly
device) are the only considerations.

(3)  for flatbeds ... there are no considerations ... this is essentially
the flatbed's "raw" file.

  I have some other thoughts too, but I want to throw this out there first
... get some feedback from the peers, and Ed too

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland