[filmscanners] Re: VueScan 7.4.2 - an appreciation, and questions about file ...

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: VueScan 7.4.2 - an appreciation, and questions about file ...
  • From: "" <EdHamrick@aol.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:01:04 EST

In a message dated 1/18/2002 6:34:15 AM EST, julianv@mindspring.com writes:

>  Histograms, graphically selectable focus point, live display updates,
>  monitor color spaces, separate panes for controls and displays, and much
>  more.

I almost have multiple previews working in 7.5.  You'll be able to
batch preview a film strip, and then click an up/down button to
switch between all the previews (quite quickly).  You'll then be
able to set the rotation and cropping of each one and then
batch scan them all.

>  If there is a fault to VS as a product, it is in the
>  documentation (User's Guide).

A design goal of software is to make it unnecessary to use
the User's Guide.  Few people would read it, no matter how
much work I put into it.

I prefer to spend my time improving and simplifying the
user interface so the User's Guide is less necessary.

>  In the following descriptions I assume that "image" refers to the data
>  written to the tif or jpg output files, and that "scan" refers to the
>  cropped area of the scanned media.

Yes.

>  If the above descriptions are correct, none of these settings will cause
>  any resampling (no pixels are changed, added or deleted).  They only
>  affect the image size and resolution tags in the output files.  I hope
>  that Ed or someone else will correct me, if my understanding is wrong.

All the Image options do is compute the dpi that's put into the file
header of the saved files.  (There's one other side effect, and that
is that it fixes the shape of the crop box in some circumstances.)

Regards,
Ed Hamrick