[filmscanners] Re: Vuescan 7.4 raw scan files not realy raw?

> Also the size reduction under the filter tab reduces the raw scan file.
> Before versions only alters the crop file. If I need a smaller raw scan
> file, I change the scanner resolution under the device tab.

O.K. In the mean time I learned from the readme files that
this is documented and that you can use the
size reduction under the filter tab to reduce noice.
In this case you can use this setting as an image quality enhancement, wich
unfortunately reduces the raw scan file size.
I did this with older Vuescan versions before, but the raw scan file was
saved in full resolution and only the cropped tiff file was reduced in size
(and noice).

When you want to save an unprocessed raw scan file in full resolution AND
you want to save a tiff (crop) file with less noice you can choose size
reduction on the tiff (crop) file setting under the files tab.

> There are three places to reduce the file size:
> size reduction under the filter tab
> size reduction for tiff (crop) files under the files tab
> size reduction for raw files under the files tab

> The size reduction under the filter tab reduces both the tiff (crop) file
> and raw scan file.
> But this can also be accomplished by the resolution setting under the
> device tab or by the size reductions under the file tab.
> One setting too much?

The more options in VueScan, the more confusing the settings are...

With kind regards,

Henk de Jong
The Netherlands

Burma - Photo Gallery
http://burma.wolweb.nl

Nepal - Trekking Around Annapurna - Photo Gallery
http://annapurna.wolweb.nl