[filmscanners] Vuescan 7.4 raw scan files not realy raw?

Coming back from a month holiday I discovered a very very different Vuescan
:-)
It took me almost an hour to find out that you have to change the resolution
setting from auto (default) to 2700 under the device tab to get a real scan
with enough pixels.... :-(

There was some e-mail or ng-message about the filosophy about the raw-scan
files, but I can not find it anymore.

I experienced that changing the grain reduction under the filter tab changes
the raw scan file size.
The output file is 48 bit RGB. I have no infrared cleaning on my scanner
(Acer 2720S Scanwit).

Does this mean that grain-reduction alters the raw scan file?
In my opinion that would be undesirable.
I strongly support the filosophy of raw scan files with no processing at
all.

Also the size reduction under the filter tab reduces the raw scan file.
Before versions only alters the crop file. If I need a smaller raw scan
file, I change the scanner resolution under the device tab.

There are three places to reduce the file size:
size reduction under the filter tab
size reduction for tiff (crop) files under the files tab
size reduction for raw files under the files tab

The size reduction under the filter tab reduces both the tiff (crop) file
and raw scan file.
But this can also be accomplished by the resolution setting under the device
tab or by the size reductions under the file tab.
One setting too much?

With kind regards,

Henk de Jong
The Netherlands

Burma - Photo Gallery
http://burma.wolweb.nl

Nepal - Trekking Around Annapurna - Photo Gallery
http://annapurna.wolweb.nl