[filmscanners] Re: Monitor Calibration

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Monitor Calibration
  • From: "" <HMSDOC@aol.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:46:37 EST

<<  I use Win2k, but PhotoCal does put "photocal startup" in the startup
 folder ... I suspect the same should be true for Win/ME.  Is there any
 chance there is more than a single startup folder for WinME?  Possibly there
 is a startup folder for "default user" rather than the login you typically
 use(?)  Have you contacted Colorvision support.  They do respond, but it may
 take a few days.>>

Thanks for the tip about there possibly being more than one StartUp folder.
Before I had written I used the Windows Search utility to look for the
StartUp folder and found one that had absolutely nothing in it.  After
reading your response, I found that when I went to the Programs menu there
was a folder called StartUp and it has stuff in it, including the PhotoCal
Startup.  There are several other things in it as well, but none that looks
as if it would effect monitor calibration or adjustment.

 > Also, when you adjust the black luminescense with PhotoCal, the
 > contrast is put up to 100% before the brightness is adjusted to
 > allow the 4 dark boxes to be just separable from each other.  But
 > then when I adjust the white luminescence to the appropriate
 > value I need to turn the contrast down to about 79.  Is it
 > correct that you  do not readjust the black luminescence with the
 > brightness control once the contrast has been adjusted downwards?

I also used the "contrast" for adjusting the monitor max downwards (...
 much simpler than adjusting gun gain ...) but, you probably should also
 back-up for making sure your "blackpoint" is still as you visually adjusted
 previously (... or run Photocal a 2nd time ...)

 cheerios ... shAf  :o)
 Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

This is something that I have found confusing, as I have heard several
different opinions, though most seem to think that you should not go back and
readjust.  I have found that the Color Vision folks have not always answered
my e mail (not that I have sent very many, but it sometimes seems hit or miss
in terms of getting a response).  I just e mailed them with this question.
When I get a response I will gladly post what they say.

Howard
HMSDOC@aol.com