[filmscanners] Re: CRTs vs LCDs

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: CRTs vs LCDs
  • From: "Julian Vrieslander" <julianv@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:59:08 -0500

On 1/17/02 9:26 AM, Dave King <kingphoto@mindspring.com>, wrote:

>I'm assuming you researched the CRT situation before buying the Sony
>GMD-F520.  Do you know if it has individually adjustable guns?

Yes.  Individually adjustable gain and bias for each gun.

>Is it a good performance/price ratio?

No.  I suspect it is overpriced relative to comparable products from
other vendors.  We bought our GDM-F520 as part of a large order including
other equipment, so our vendor was able to knock the price down some.
But if you want a big tube and price is an issue, look at the Mitsubishi
Diamond Pro 2060U (or whatever the current equivalent is).  When I was
searching the web for recommendations, I found several favorable comments
about that model and its predecessor, the 2040.  You might also consider
the Sony CPD-G520.  In MacWorld's 2/2002 comparison review of monitors,
they named the GDM-F520 as the best performing 21" CRT, but the CPD-G520
was judged the best value.  Note, however, that they did not include any
Mitsu in the comparisons for that group.

There are certainly other excellent CRTs, and if you search the net, you
will find lots of opinions.  When I was doing that, I encountered more
reports of problems with Sony CRTs than some of the other brands.  But
it's hard to draw conclusions from anecdotal reports.  Perhaps the
frequency of bad reports on Sonys is partly due to the fact that they
ship more branded monitors than the other companies.

--
Julian Vrieslander <mailto:julianv@mindspring.com>