[filmscanners] Re: Video card for imaging

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Video card for imaging
  • From: "Julian Vrieslander" <julianv@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:39:53 -0500

On 1/16/02 11:48 AM, Dave King <kingphoto@mindspring.com>, wrote:

>I'm not sure why brighter and greater dynamic range would be a good thing
>when a full on CRT is already quite a bit in excess of those same qualities
>on a printed page.  Every CRT I've calibrated has had to be toned down
>considerably to match a page.

Some of us are trying to produce photo images that are optimized for
display on the web, not the printed page.

And some of us do not have the luxury of editing images in a darkened
workspace.  In normally illuminated office environments, the extra
brightness of an LCD is very useful.

Of course, if you want to limit the brightness range of an LCD display,
or match it to a CRT, that can be done.  Colorvision's OptiCAL software
has features specifically designed for achieving such a match.

BTW, I am not trying to argue that LCD's are better.  When we upgraded
our systems earlier this year, I went for the Sony CRT.  But I have to
admit that the Apple LCD on the next desk is very nice indeed.  Each has
its advantages and disadvantages.

--
Julian Vrieslander <mailto:julianv@mindspring.com>