[filmscanners] VueScan 7.4 beta: still having white pixel clipping with SS4000

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] VueScan 7.4 beta: still having white pixel clipping with SS4000
  • From: "S Schwartz" <snsok@swbell.net>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:48:01 -0600

I am still having trouble with bright pixel clipping with VueScan and my
SS4000. I am scanning 35mm color transparencies--Velvia and ProviaF--and
using Image as Media Type.

I just did comparison scans of a landscape with deep shadows and bright
clouds.  Using VueScan with the white point setting way down to 0.02 and the
black point at 0 and using the White Balance setting, I am still seeing
clipping of the brightest pixels once the image is imported into Photoshop.

The VueScan "gray" histogram looks as though the line reaches zero at the
far right end of the graph.

However, using the ALT+click on the white point triangle in the Levels
dialog box of Photoshop shows the clipping of bright pixels in some of the
clouds.

When I use Polaroid's Insight to scan the same slide, the brightest pixels
are well below the white point in the Photoshop histogram. There is no
clipping.

I tried scanning with the Color setting at Neutral rather than White
Balance. That results in moving the entire "gray" histogram to the left, but
there is still bright pixel clipping when I look at the histogram in PS6.

I used PS to look at the R,G and B channels in the levels dialog box. The
bright clipping seems to be in the blue channel, for what it's worth. The
image scanned by Polaroid's Insight doesn't show this phenomenon.

Stan