[filmscanners] Re: Building PC system for image editing

Hi Alex , ... first of all ... the suffix IL is for wich Country ? ... I am
not able to guess ... :o) ...
Second ... going in details ...
1) I understand going with Athlon I'll will have to chose certain
motherboard
(not all Pentium board will work with it, right ?)
You should start to go to http://www.asus.co.tw and study the different MB
offered .

In facts , not only they are different for Intel processors and for AMD
proc. , but ALSO different for different form-factory in the same processor
belonging to the same vendor ... so be careful ... the MB is the basement
for the performances of your system ... a clugg or a bottle neck in the MB
and expensive parts are simply USELESS or not exploited at the max they can
give .

2) Also, it seem to use DDR memory type not being compatible with regular
SDRAMs, right ? (so the motherboard supporting the Athlon are intended for
DDR memory interfacing, am I wrong ?)

DDR is extremely fast but also expensive .... so ordinarily it's used for
video cards memory.
As far as I know ... the simms of RAM are called SDRAM and other names ...
and are quite cheap ... I am planning to buy for the system I am assemblying
right now ... I am planning to use 2 x 512 ''chocolate sticks'' for the cost
of 106 € (Euro) each ... or 85$ (more or less) .
What you have to check is to use 133MHz memory ... same price of 100MHz
memory but faster and newer .... so available for larger chunks.

Today my system has (ASUS K7V motherboard with AThlon 800MHz SLOT A form
fatory) 256 MB of 133MHz RAM 2 x 128
The number of slots is also fixing the max upgradeability of the board ...
so the A7V266 has 3 slots for memory boards and can reach the 3GB of RAM
being available in chuncks of 1GB MAX + having the microcode able to manage
that .

3) BTW, what about cooling ? I've heard AMD should be treated in special way
in
regard of it since being heated significantly. Many suggest adding
additional fan streaming onto the CPU. Is that correct ?

Really ? ..  I have no need of extra fans (for CPU seen that ATHLON SLOT A
is a small book comprehensive of L2 CACHE and fans etc. etc. ... also ...
Pentium IV has got owful problems of heating seen the frequency of clock
used and the extreme push it has been used to counter the performances
problems it has .... so be careful ... if you will ever go P IV (with the
today available technology) you must be sure of having a good power and good
set of fans .... but remember you are going to use a 64 bit architecture
with a 32bit operating system (either W98 either NT are 32bit ... and the
available Linux is ALSO 32bit !) ....
The AMD XP (and so for the older Athlon) have a different architecture i.e.
32bit and so better performing with O.S. at 32bit ....

My wife's system is on AMD Duron (800MHz) ... so big and silent fan sealed
and clamped on the CPU ... no probs so far ...

I am not sure of carrying the absolute true ... but I am pretty sure of
being experienced since 22 years ago in this world ... being so far employed
in a MAJOR (BLUE  ;o) .... ) computer company and professionally dealing
with XL and XXL Unix systems .

Sincerely.

Ezio

www.lucenti.com  e-photography site