[filmscanners] Re: Building PC system for image editing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Zabrovsky" <alexz@zoran.co.il>

Hi all.
I'm considering constructing myself the PC system (have previous experience
doing that about 5 years ago though), however, it seems I'm
out of date of the PC technology being confused by the choices of the parts.
I rely on the List helping me out to clarify that and to understand what
really I need.

1. Memory. I understand this is the most important resource for image
processing. I'm planning to start from 512 MB right from the beginning,
however the DRAM types seem to be overwhelming: SDRAM, DDR, RDRAM,
DDR ECC (not talking about EDO which are probably out of questions though).
I'm familiar with SDRAM technology, but others sounds to be
quite new and unknown (for me, at least).
I paid attention the DDR and RDRAM types are considerably more expensive
then SDRAM.
The question is whether this is really justified ?

It can be if you choose a fast motherboard to match. DDR-SDRAm matched with
say an EPoX 8KHA+ is inexpensive and will do plenty of speed.

What is the benefits of those DDR and RDRAM against SDRAM ?

About 5% speed increase or so.

Will I gain real life performance with those new types compared to SDRAM ?

If carefully matched with parts that can use the performance, yes.

Finally, your opinion about DDR/RDRAM price/performance compared to SDRAM
(let's say SDRAM 133 MHz) ?

RDRAM is still the price leader with less of a speed bump to justify the
cost. When I bought my DDR-SDRAM, the SDRAAM was only pennies less. Prices
are on the way back up since the end of November.

2. Processor. I think I would opt for something like P4 1.6-1.7 GHz
which sounds to be enough given there will be no serious constraints on the
memory amount. What about AMD Ahtlon ?

Bang for the buck would be an Athlon 1800+. If money is no object, then go
for the Athlon 2000+. If the Intel name means something special to you, then
go for the 1.4 mHz PIII. The lastest 0.13 die P4 is worth looking at if you
can spit gold.

3. As about HDD I think there is no too much choices to contemplate about.
   The bigger, faster and reliable is better. Depends on the local market
offerings. BTW, should I pay more for SCSI interface ?

Only if you are doing this as a business and can write off the cost. IDE
drives have caught up and passed most SCSI drives in general use. The 10,000
and 15,000 rpm SCSI drives still have an edge for large files that make them
worth considering. Large capacity drives from Maxtor, Seagate, and Western
Digital make IDE worth checking out. Check out the Western Digital WD1200SE
as an example.

What is RAID ? Any opinions about it ?

RAID is a redundant array of inexpensive discs, or the combining of smaller
drives to act like either one larger drive, or mirrors of the smaller
drives. For home use, not worth the trouble and cost.

4. Display card. Which one would you recommend ? (not necessarily to be the
most expensive though...)

Go with the Matrox G550 series cards for about $129 at some places. The 360
mHz RAMDAC in these cardss give the best 2D imaging on the consumer market.
The older G450 is just as good, but the same price at most places. ALso has
excellent 2nd monitor connectivity for, say, a proofing monitor, or menus
monitor.

5. CD-RW. Are there DVD-RW available for PC installation ?

Drives exist with DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW that are worth the expense if
you are archiving large numbers of images. Check out Philips' DVD+RW
offering, or HP's.

   Are they worth the expense ?

YMMV.

Jim Snyder