[filmscanners] RE: Building PC system for image editing

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Building PC system for image editing
  • From: "Wilson, Paul" <PWilson@gomez.com>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 17:28:01 -0500

I built the PC I use to scan and run Photoshop.  It's a dual PIII 866 with
1.25G, two 18G SCSI drives and so forth running Win2K.  I don't have
experience with faster P4's but I really like dual processors and SCSI.
Why?  Because I'm writing this email while my scanner is going and both
processors are at 65% or so.  Dual PIII motherboards are cheap and PIII 1G
processors only cost $135 or so.  You can build a dual AMD machine also but
I have my doubts about the stability.  http://www.2cpu.com has some good
info.

As for RAM, they type you need will pretty much be dictated by the processor
and motherboard you choose.  All PIII's use SDRAM, most P4's use RDRAM
though some now use SDRAM (SDRAM is cheaper) and AMD's use DDR.  I doubt the
type of RAM will have as much of an effect on system performance as the type
of processor and the amount of RAM.  One problem with P4's and RDRAM is that
the memory has to be installed in matched pairs.  For example, you'll need 2
256MB sticks and 2 512MB sticks if you want 1.5G or RAM.  SDRAM can be mixed
in any combination.

Hard drive:  As I said I have SCSI which is nice but it's more money.  SCSI
offloads the IO processing from the CPU which is nice as it makes the
machine more responsive.  However, the new ATA100 7200rpm IDE drives are
nice and perform very well.  I'll let someone else discuss the benefits of
RAID.

Paul Wilson

PS. Get a good case.  The case will probably outlast the rest of the
components and a good one will make installation much easier.  I got one of
these:

http://www.antec-inc.com/product/cases/sohoser.html