[filmscanners] Epson 1650 Photo and Vuescan

I downloaded the demo of Vuescan as an alternative to the woefully
inadequate Epson driver, but I've hit a snag that hopefully somebody else
has seen.

If I preview and scan a reflective doc, it works perfectly; however, if I
preview something with the 4x5 transparency adapter, I can watch the CCD
move through the entire 4x5 area, return to the very top of the bed, and the
app hangs.  At the bottom of Vuescan, it indicates that the preview is 50%
done.

I haven't tried the 35mm filmstrip adapter because I'm scanning mostly MF
and 4x5's.  Has anybody seen this behavior?

Neil