From: "Julian Robinson" <jrobinso@pcug.org.au>
To: <rew@impulse.net>
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 8:52 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Tips needed on difficult scan

Being endlessly interested in contrast taming, I just tried this but
obviously I am missing something because I can't get it to work.  I
certainly don't understand how it works, mostly because I don't know what
"screen" does :(  Is the technique assuming the dark or light image on top,
or doesn't it matter?

It does remind me though of the other semi-automatic way of improving high
contrast images which works quite well, although if overused gives some
strange effects on the light-dark transitions and at the edge of image.

Contrast masking...
- Image needs to be in 8-bit which is a shame.
- duplicate it into a second layer
- desaturate top layer and invert (make it a negative of itself)
- select OVERLAY as mode
- gaussian blur this top layer to 20-70pixels until you get the best effect
- reduce the effect if necessary by reducing transparency of top layer

Julian