[filmscanners] Re: Flatbed for contact sheets?

At 03:33 PM 1/6/2002, Op's wrote:

> > I have a PowerLook III ...

>I have a UMax Astra 4000U  when I was looking for a Flatbed for proofing.
>This scanner was
>the only one that had a lid which covered the whole  page - US Legal. Was
>within a price
>range much the same as the epson 1600 (which ive been told is a double
>stepping 800dpi
>scanner). It did scan at 1200dpi.

I used to use a UMAX Powerlook III, and thought it was a fine scanner as
flatbeds go for scanning negatives.  I quite stupidly read a lot of online
raves about the Epson 1640 and bought that, only to discover that the scans
were significantly inferior to the UMAX scans, despite supposed higher
resolution.  It didn't focus as well (and some of the early fans also
started commenting on this) and it had a lot of shadow noise.  So much for
specs...

The good thing it did was get me to buy the SS120, which, other than the
inability to make contact sheets works just fine for me.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/