[filmscanners] Re: Flatbed for contact sheets?

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Flatbed for contact sheets?
  • From: "Dana Trout" <dana@troutcom.com>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 13:55:04 -0800

I have a PowerLook III and use it for (among other things) doing
contact sheets of 35mm filmstrips. It is fine for that job because you
will not be enlarging the images very much nor will you be trying to
get every last bit of shadow detail (if you were, you'd not be leaving
the filmstrips in the Printfile sheets).

Like any flatbed with transparency head, the PowerLook has the
following problems:

 1. Lots of surfaces to keep clean (both sides of the glass in the
head, both sides of the glass in the platen, as well as the light
tubes, the reflectors, and the calibration strips).

 2. Since the light source in the head is not mechanically linked to
the sensor in the bed they do get slightly out of alignment as they
move. The alignment error is cyclical and causes very faint (but
sometimes important) banding along the direction of travel. There are
several sources for this error: slight eccentricity of the gears, and
vibration of the belts driving the light and sensor. This banding is
much more noticeable on long scans than short ones, so for 35mm
filmstrips each frame will show little banding.

Overall, I like the scanner a lot, but do remember it is not really a
high-end filmscanner. I do use it to scan large negatives (100
year-old 3.5" x 5.5" black & whites as well as the occasional 8x10)
and it does just fine for them -- the negatives themselves have enough
problems from improper exposure, washing, and storage that the
scanners foibles are not significant.

I live in Santa Barbara, California. If you would like to send me some
645 or 6x6 negs and chromes to scan I can do that and return them and
a CD to you. Then you can decide whether the scanner is adequate to
your needs. Please email me off-list if you want to do this.

HTH,
  --Dana