[filmscanners] Re: Silverfast vs. Vuescan

One comment on Silverfast - although I'm not entirely comfortable with the
interface, and I don't like what I get with black and white scans from it
(and no longer use it for that), NegaFix is phenomenal with color
negatives.  Silverfast is the only software that minimizes corrections with
Ultra 50, a difficult film for most scan software (including Agfa's, when I
had an Agfa scanner) anyway.

Regarding 16 bit capability, with a 4000dpi scan of a 6x7 negative in RGB,
I can't manage the results in Photoshop without incredibly long time
delays.  The fact that Silverfast does global correction in 16 bit but
delivers in 8 bit is very, very useful for what I am doing.

I've tried Vuescan, it seems to do things pretty well, but I'm already
using two sets of software (I use Polacolor Insight for black and white)
and that's enough for now.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/